Enter song title:

Friday, May 18, 2007


Today I am going to share the things I learnt from watching Death Note Movie. But before that, here’s a short background of the movie from Wikipedia: Death Note (デスノート Desu Nōto) is a series of Japanese films, adapted from the Death Note manga series, released in 2006. The films primarily center around a high school student who decides to rid the world of evil with the help of a supernatural notebook that kills anyone whose name is written in it. The two films were directed by Shūsuke Kaneko, produced by Nippon Television and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures Japan. A spin-off film is currently in pre-production.

Light Yagami is a brilliant, but bored, high school student who resents the crime and corruption in the world. His life undergoes a drastic change when he discovers a mysterious notebook, known as the "Death Note", lying on the ground. The Death Note's instructions claim that, if a human's name is written within it, that person shall die. Light is initially skeptical of the Death Note's authenticity, believing it is just a prank. However, after experimenting with it and killing two criminals, Light is forced to admit that the Death Note is real. After meeting with the previous owner of the Death Note, a Shinigami named Ryuk, Light seeks to become "the God of the new world" by passing his judgment on criminals.

Soon, the number of inexplicable deaths of reported criminals catches the attention of the International Police Organization and a mysterious detective known only as "L". L quickly learns that the serial killer, dubbed by the public as "Kira" (derived from the Japanese pronunciation of the English word "Killer"), is located in Japan. L also concludes that Kira can kill people without laying a finger on them. Light realizes that L will be his greatest nemesis, and a race to prove mental superiority between the two beings.

Things I learnt from Light Yagami:


1. Study hard. Studying hard makes you smart like Light Yagami who was able to pass his studies. His mental ability and critical thinking are impressive thus he was able to control the future and also, he was able to pretend that he is not the “Kira”.
Application:
Now that I am in third year, I must study hard because our subjects will surely be tough. Like Light Yagami, I should use my logic especially in programming.

2. Learn how to hack. Light Yagami hacked the database of NBI because he wants to investigate the criminals and put the verdict in his hands through the Death Note believing that utopia will rule.
Application:
Maybe it’s time to study how to hack Blogger beta so that I can have a full control of my template.

3. Don’t be afraid. Because of Light Yagami’s bravery, he was not frightened to use the Death Note and the Shinigami named Ryuk didn’t even scare him.
Application:
Don’t be afraid to try blogging. You can learn a lot from it and you can also monetize your blog. Just give a little time for your blog.

4. Plan for your future. Knowing that something might happen, Light Yagami recorded the names of criminals in the Death Note in advance. Because of this, he was able to escape from being suspected as “Kira.”
Application:
Like Light Yagami, I am also planning for the future. I am using Microsoft Office OneNote to list the topics that I am going to post in my blog in the future.

5. Kill your girlfriend. Through Death Note, Light Yagami killed his girlfriend so that “L” will not suspect him as “Kira.” The denouement of the film is a hostage crisis where Light Yagami is supposed to save his girlfriend by admitting that he is the “Kira,” his girlfriend ran towards him and the hostage taker shot his girlfriend. The truth is, everything happened according to Light Yagami’s plan. Light was indeed an evil.
Application:
Kill your time by browsing the web. Reading blogs, watching youtube, and searching the internet can kill boredom.

Things I learnt from “L”:



1. Eat a lot of sweets. Eating sweets can make you smart like “L” who was able to find out that Light Yagami is “Kira” through his deductions and formulas. Unfortunately, he cannot find evidences because Light Yagami is smart and secretive.
Application:
“L” and I have something in common. We both love sweets but it has no effect with my mental abilities cause I am still a dimwit. Anyway, the statement “eating sweets can make you smart” is just my hypothesis derived from this movie. Hehe.

2. Hide yourself from the public. One of the rules written in the Death Note is that this note will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected. This is the reason why “L” hid himself from the public and used an alias instead of his real name so that “Kira” will not be able to kill him using the Death Note.
Application:
Because of this, I realized that I should not tell everything about me in this blog. Talking about other people and writing articles like this are enough to call this website a blog.

3. Be a good leader. “L” is the leader of the team who is responsible for solving the inexplicable deaths of reported criminals. His instructions were followed by the rest of the team and he is really a hard-working guy.
Application:
As an officer of our department’s official organization, I should help my co-officers and also, I should share my ideas. Getting involved in meetings is my little way of helping our org.

From the Editor’s Desk
I admit that I am a fan of J-Drama and J-Horror. Death Note Movie is the best Japanese film I have watched this year. For those of you who have already watched this movie, I assume that you like Light Yagami more than “L.” By the way, Light Yagami was portrayed by Tatsuya Fujiwara who is the main character in another Japanese film entitled Battle Royale while “L” was portrayed by Ken’ichi Matsuyama who is one of the students of class 3D in a Japanese series entitled Gokusen. The effects of the film are fantastic because the makers were able to create a real Shinigami which I only see in anime like Bleach. Back to the topic, I like “L” more than Light Yagami because his odd mannerisms are really unusual and his way of thinking is really astonishing. Light, on the other hand, is not just for he puts the verdict in his hands. Criminals have the right to live and they also have the right to change. I can’t wait to watch the sequel of Death Note this afternoon.

Buy Death Note Movie Now


Enter your email address: