Enter song title:

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Demi Lovato may be a star to teenage girls all across America, but performing at the "Kids' Inaugural: We Are the Future" show on Monday gave the 16-year-old a chance to meet some of her own favorite celebrities, including the new first family. "Honestly, it was a blur, because it was like, I'm standing in the presence of the first lady, but then you kind of forgot about it because she's so normal," she told MTV News after the show. "And she's like way down to earth. She gave me a hug, and her daughters were so sweet, and you could tell they are not fazed by anything.

"The president was not there," she added, joking, "One day, we will hopefully play golf or something."

In addition to meeting the Obama ladies, she got the chance to meet one of her idols, Usher, who was one of the celebrity guests at the show. "I met a lot of really cool people, but Usher was really cool because I got to meet him," she shared.

"For my birthday, when I was like 10, I went to his concert, so it was like surreal to be on the same stage with him and hanging out backstage just being like, 'A few years ago, I was at your concert for my birthday and freaked out when you looked my way.' "

Lovato said that getting the chance to sing for such a prestigious crowd didn't make her too nervous, because she performs a lot, but instead it gave her a different kind of emotion.

"I think it was more moving than nerve-wracking — just knowing that you are performing in front of the troops' families," she said. "It was just an honor that I could make them smile when their parents are fighting in another country. And especially looking down in the first row and seeing the Obamas there, it was awesome. And to see them dancing, singing, clapping, it was so surreal."

The concert, which Lovato described as "one of the coolest nights of my life," also gave her the chance to catch up with her "Camp Rock" co-stars and friends, the Jonas Brothers, as well as fellow teen queen Miley Cyrus. "We always say 'hi' before, and I got to say 'hi' to them afterwards," she said. "At the end of the show, we all got onstage together, and I was standing next to Miley and the boys."

Lovato said being involved in the "Kids' Inaugural" emphasized what she already believed during last year's election: The youth of America are more political than ever.

"I think even teenagers or tweens are getting involved, and it used to only be the people that are old enough to vote," she said. "But that's the great part about the 'Kids' Inaugural' that we just performed at. I got to be involved in something that was history-making, so it's just an honor. And I think everyone's inspired."

by:vh1


Enter your email address: